FrançaisSe nourrir et célébrer un corps sain
Celebrating healthy bodies with food
(NC) Eighty percent of people who go on a diet to lose weight gain it back. But weight is complex, so instead of starting the next fad diet, try committing to a healthy body.
It is important to understand that health comes in all shapes and sizes and that while extra weight is generally associated with an unhealthy lifestyle, that’s not always the case. The lifestyle we live, including our eating choices, level of activity, and sleeping habits all have a direct impact on our overall health.
Weight loss can also be affected by factors that are out of our control including age, health conditions, certain medications and genetics.
Sustainable eating and lifestyle habits are the cornerstone for long-term success. To help you get started on your healthy weight goals, your local Loblaws registered dietitian is offering a six-week program to help support people in achieving their personalized healthy weight. This program seeks to help you ditch the diet mentality and embrace healthy habits that work through making healthier food choices.
Try this curry, which is the perfect mix of sweetness and spice, to nourish your body. Make it milder by using a mild curry powder, or spicier by using hot.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
Ready in: 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, divided
- 430 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in chunks
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 1/4cup (50 mL) minced ginger root
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Large sweet potato, peeled and cut in chunks
- Carrot, cut in chunks
- 4 tsp (20 mL) curry powder
- 1 pkg (900 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pkg (300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) honey
- In large saucepan, heat half of oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Add to pan, cooking until browned; about 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Discard remaining flour.
- Add remaining oil to pan; cook onions, ginger and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes or until softened. Add sweet potato, carrot and curry powder; stir to coat. Stir in chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are almost tender. Stir in chicken; simmer another 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in spinach and honey; cook until heated through. Serve with brown rice, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: 310 calories; 6g fat (1.3 saturated fat); 250mg sodium; 45g carbohydrates; 6g fibre; 23g protein.
Find more information at bookadietitian.ca.
Media Attachments Related Posts
All News Canada content is provided free of charge. Any source/sponsor of the information must also be identified as presented. For articles, credit of usage must be attributed to News Canada with "(NC)" at the beginning of an article or "www.newscanada.com" or "– News Canada" at the end. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada content constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Disclaimer: Comments and opinions in News Canada content are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of News Canada Inc., its management or employees. News Canada Inc. is not responsible, and disclaims any and all liability, for the content of comments provided by contributors.