Vegan breakfast cookies packed with pumpkin and anti-inflammatory ingredients
(NC) It’s pumpkin season, and these delicious cookies, which are high in soluble fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and protein will keep you satisfied for hours.
Soluble fibre plays a role in lowering inflammation, stabilizing blood sugar, reducing cholesterol levels and supporting overall gut health, say dietitians at Arthritis Society Canada. Chia and flax seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which may aid in lowering inflammation and improving cardiovascular health.
Pumpkin protein breakfast cookies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
• 3 cups (270 g) old fashioned rolled oats
• 1 cup (240 g) peanut butter (nut butter or alternative)
• 1 cup (236 ml) pumpkin puree, canned
• ½ cup (87.5 g) chopped dates or (79.5 g) raisins
• ¼ cup (40 g) chia seeds
• ¼ cup (34 g) ground flax
• ¼ cup (59 ml) maple syrup
• 1 tsp (4.9 ml) vanilla extract
• 1 tsp (2.76 g) cinnamon
• ½ tsp (1.1 g) ground cloves
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F (163°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until well combined.
3. Shape dough into 12 large balls and flatten with the palm of your hand.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes and serve.
5. Store baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
• Add some chocolate chips or coconut flakes for extra crunch and flavour.
• Make a batch of these cookies and freeze them for later. Store up to one month in the freezer.
Nutritional information (per serving) Calories: 269; total fat 14g; saturated fat 3g; monounsaturated fat 6g; carbohydrates 31g; protein 8g; fibre 5g; sodium 7mg; omega-3 fatty acids 1g.
Find more arthritis-friendly recipes at arthritis.ca.
Media Attachments Related Posts
All News Canada content is provided free of charge. Any source/sponsor of the information must also be identified as presented. For articles, credit of usage must be attributed to News Canada with "(NC)" at the beginning of an article or "www.newscanada.com" or "– News Canada" at the end. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada content constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Disclaimer: Comments and opinions in News Canada content are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of News Canada Inc., its management or employees. News Canada Inc. is not responsible, and disclaims any and all liability, for the content of comments provided by contributors.