First-time buyer or renter? Find the right insurance

(NC) Nearly half of Canadians lose sleep when thinking about their home insurance policy, according to a recent survey. With some being first-time homeowners, it can seem overwhelming to think about having the correct amount of coverage and knowing what to do when something does go wrong. Here are some things homeowners can consider so they can get the rest they need:

Know your policy. Most home or tenant policies cover the significant items that people care about. But there may be exceptions within your policy. Make sure you understand your basic policy details and check that extras such as jewellery, bicycles or cash are covered. Talk to your insurance agent to ensure your policy also covers earthquakes, sewage back-ups and other events that might be prevalent in your area. If you’re a first-time homeowner, base your policy on your home inspection report to make sure you account for any possible issues identified.

Everyone’s coverage will be different. Whether you’re living in a home that you own or rent, you need insurance.

As a tenant, it’s important to have tenant insurance that covers your personal property, including furniture, clothing and other valuables. Your landlord’s insurance policy should cover the building and any detached private structures such as garages or gazebos. But be aware that tenants are held financially responsible for the harm they cause to any part of the building in which they live, or to others who live or visit there.

As a homeowner, your insurance policy covers the expenses that can come up if something unexpected happens to your home and your belongings. It's also there to protect you if you accidentally hurt someone or damage someone else's property anywhere in the world.

Find more information and some useful tips for fully understanding your policy at

Media Attachments Related Posts
Terms of Use

All News Canada content is provided free of charge. Any source/sponsor of the information must also be identified as presented. For articles, credit of usage must be attributed to News Canada with "(NC)" at the beginning of an article or "" or "– News Canada" at the end. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada content constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.

Disclaimer: Comments and opinions in News Canada content are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of News Canada Inc., its management or employees. News Canada Inc. is not responsible, and disclaims any and all liability, for the content of comments provided by contributors.