Quick and easy calzones, perfect for busy family mealtimes
(NC) From basketball practice to music lessons, the after-school rush can be a hectic one. For evenings when you’re pressed for time, meal prep can be a lifesaver.
Stuffed with a favourite ingredient – hot dogs – these Tex-Mex calzones are a tasty meal the kids will happily enjoy. With new Maple Leaf Top Dogs, you can feel confident your little ones’ favourite food is made from real ingredients found in your own kitchen.
Enjoy these calzones straight away, or make them ahead of time, wrap individually in plastic wrap and keep them stored in the freezer. When you’re ready to enjoy, reheat in the oven and serve warm.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 (700 g) fresh store-bought pizza dough
- 8 Maple Leaf Original Top Dogs, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any colour), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) Tex-Mex shredded cheese, divided
- Egg wash: one egg white and drop of water, whisked together
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220 °C).
- Prepare two sheet pans with parchment paper and dust with all-purpose flour. On a clean, floured work surface, cut pizza dough into 8 equal pieces. Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough pieces into 1/4-inch-thick circles. Place on baking sheets and set aside while making your filling.
- Add chopped hot dogs, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Combine by mixing with a spoon.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil to medium-high heat. Add hot dog mixture and sauté until vegetables are softened; about 4 minutes. If there is excess water, drain mixture using a sieve.
- Prepare egg wash.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of hot dog filling to the centre of each dough round. Top mixture with a tablespoon of cheese. Brush edge of half the dough round with egg wash; this will help the calzone stick together. Fold dough over filling and use a fork to close and secure the filling into the calzone.
- Add more shredded cheese to the top of the calzone and then using a knife, cut a few steam vents into the top of each to prevent them from bursting or getting soggy. Bake until golden brown; about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and then serve.
Media Attachments Related Posts
All News Canada content is provided free of charge. Any source/sponsor of the information must also be identified as presented. For articles, credit of usage must be attributed to News Canada with "(NC)" at the beginning of an article or "www.newscanada.com" or "– News Canada" at the end. Images are only to be used with corresponding editorial copy. Usage of News Canada content constitutes your acceptance of these terms and an agreement between you and News Canada.
Disclaimer: Comments and opinions in News Canada content are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of News Canada Inc., its management or employees. News Canada Inc. is not responsible, and disclaims any and all liability, for the content of comments provided by contributors.